Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Bench

Well...four months later...I'm finally done with my bench. It really didn't take me very long at all to do it. I was just procrastinating a little too much. I stole this idea from my wonderful friend Heather last summer, and I'm just now accomplishing it myself.

It all started in September. I was driving home one Friday afternoon when I remembered that Shannon (my home town) was having their garage sales that day. I decided I'd take a quick drive through town. (Remember...population 801...it literally takes me 10 minutes to drive up and down EVERY street in our town.) I didn't see any garage sales that looked appealing, and I was ready to go home, but then...

I saw them. 

Three grungy, beat-up, antique chairs were sitting in someone's yard. I immediately knew what I could do with them. I got out of my car, went straight to the gentleman selling them, and asked "how much do you want for the chairs?". He said "$5". I said "sold". It was love at first sight.

Of course, my husband thought I was crazy when he first saw them, but I knew they had potential. I immediately sent a text message to Heather showing her my garage sale find.

Now...four months later...I started working on them. And it was a very quick and easy project. I lightly sanded down the chairs, put a coat of primer spray paint on them, spray painted them, and then added the seat for the bench. Aaron helped me put the chairs together. (Thanks, Sweetie!!) We used an old piece of plywood we had in the garage to make a long seat, and I happen to have an old memory foam mattress pad in a closet upstairs. I cut up the mattress pad, stapled the fabric around it onto the plywood seat, and VoilĂ !!


This awkward space by my staircase is now filled, and I'm extremely excited about it!

I just added a little accent pillow last night to complete the look, and this is one craft project I'm very excited to cross off my list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment